Both the Diaper Genie Complete and the Diaper Genie Essentials have many similar attributes, but there are quite a few differences that can make you choose one or the other, depending on your preference and needs.
This Diaper Genie Review focuses on the 4 main differences that can make your selection a lot easier. I also touch on some pros/cons of each product. I have personally used the Diaper Genie Essentials and I will explain why I chose this one by the end of this review.
Cheapest place to buy Diaper Genie Complete: Amazon.com
Cheapest place to buy Diaper Genie Essentials: Amazon.com
They are both advertised as locking in scents, which is the major highlight for any diaper pail. I mean, no one wants to smell a poopy diaper after it has left their hands!
1. Differing Price Points
This is a major difference between the two. And depending on your style, you could pay anywhere from $24 to about $49.
- Diaper Genie Complete – Starts at about $37 and goes up to about $49. The cheapest one is the white color, which is pretty standard, so if you’re not too fussy on color, this is the best bet for you. The other colors available include pink, green, blue and grey (a little more expensive).
- Diaper Genie Expressions – Starts at about $24. There’s only 1 color (white) but there are customizable sleeves that add a touch of color and design to the diaper pail. These sleeves cost between $4 and $7 depending on the design and color.
So even with the base cost plus the sleeve, the Diaper Genie Essentials is significantly cheaper.
2. Ease of Use – Hand Button vs Foot Pedal
This is a huge, obvious difference between the two products. You can either have a foot pedal or a push button to open the diaper pail.
- Diaper Genie Complete – Comes with a foot pedal for easy to open access. This is a big plus for many people as it can be easier than using your hands, especially if they’re full with dirty diapers!
- This can also work well for taller individuals, who might find it more difficult to bend and push the button.
- Diaper Genie Expressions – Comes with a push button. This might work well for shorter individuals. I personally liked this feature because I constantly break everything with a foot pedal – from garbage bins to other household items.
- So if you’re as clumsy as me and want your diaper pail to last a long while before it’s broken, then this might be the better option. Initially, I wanted a foot pedal because it’s naturally easier to use, but my husband had to gently remind me of the numerous products I have broken because I either stepped on the foot pedal too hard, or stepped on it by accident.
- It actually turned out to be not as much of a nuisance as I had previously thought, and it has never broken on me once 🙂
3. Smell of Roses or Smell of Rosy Buttcheeks?
I think both products hold the scent in quite well but one of them has an optional built in feature that should hold the scent in even better!
- Diaper Genie Complete – Comes with a carbon filter holder at the top of the pail. Carbon filters can be bought separately (very cheap) and can be used as an extra layer to trap the scent in.
- Diaper Genie Expressions – Does not come with a pre-installed carbon filter holder. You could, however, attach the filter by using glue, tape, or other mechanism if you really feel the need for it.
- I did not use mine with a carbon filter, and I never once smelled any dirty diapers, whether the lid was open or close. So I personally don’t feel like the filters are necessary. Other parents might disagree, so if you feel the need, go right ahead and add the carbon filter.
This difference is so obvious it’s impossible not to notice.
- Diaper Genie Complete – This model is significantly larger than the Expressions. It can hold more dirty diapers so you don’t have to empty it as often.
- On the flip side, you don’t want to keep dirty poopy diapers in your baby’s room for too long as that’s just asking for trouble. So pick your battles where size is concerned.
- Diaper Genie Expressions – Much smaller and hold much less dirty diapers. So technically you have to empty it more often.
- I never leave dirty diapers for too long in any case, so this wasn’t an issue for me.
- What I also love about the smaller size is that it takes up much less space and I could easily tuck it away in a corner.
Pros/Cons of Diaper Genie Complete
- Holds more diapers
- Easy to use foot pedal
- Carbon filters to trap the scent
- Foot pedal could break
- Takes up more space
- Colours other than white are more expensive
- Base price is more expensive than the Diaper Genie Essentials
Pros/Cons of Diaper Genie Essentials
- Smaller size takes up less space
- Customizable – fabric sleeve comes in different designs and colors (inexpensive)
- Price – cheaper than Diaper Genie Complete
- No carbon filters to trap scent
- Holds less dirty diapers
- Push button to open versus the foot pedal
So Which is Better?
Honestly, it depends on your preference and your budget!
If you’re like me and prefer cheaper but smaller, then the Diaper Genie Expressions is the way to go. Again if you’re like me and break foot pedals on garbage bins, then this might also be the way to go 🙂 You can get the Diaper Genie Expressions for the cheapest price here.
If you don’t mind spending the extra money to get a bigger pail which comes with the carbon filter holder, then the Diaper Genie Complete might be a better option for you. You can get the Diaper Genie Complete for the cheapest price here.
So there you have it. After reading through the differences and pros and cons, I’m hoping your decision has been made a little easier.
Share with us your experience with either the Diaper Genie Complete or the Diaper Genie Essentials and why you like either one. If you’re still undecided, what’s holding you back? Thanks for reading 🙂